To backtrack from my last post about New Orleans...Beatrix and I made our annual summer trip to Louisiana to see my mom and family.
What a sweet time! I love the quiet and open space of home. And coming from Texas, one could spot me easily as I could be found gawking over all the green there. It. was. so. green. And so was I with a tad bit of envy.
Highlights to this year's trip:
- My mom gave Bea a handmade stick horse, and the girl truly thought life could not get any sweeter. The entire time we were there, she galloped around the yard on her pony, Nay. So dear.
- We enjoyed swinging, riding the golf cart around the property, checking on the garden, and just enjoying the simple and slow, easy-going summer life.
- Visiting with my dear friend and her girls. It feels so good to have a friendship that picks up right where we left off (and to see our girls respond to each other in the same way!)
- Our quick getaway to New Orleans.
- I'll remember this road trip as the By the Shores of Silver Lake one as we listened to this Little House audio book on both ways of our trip. Otherwise, I kept the car-trick inventory simple and to the point. She brought a bag of her favorite books, some color pencils and a notebook, Dolly, and her stuff dog, Jack. She doodled, talked to Jack and Dolly LOTS, and "read" her books. On the way home, she literally spent a couple of hours talking to her pony, Nay. She even excercised Nay in the back seat as far as her arms could move her back and forth.
- And always, bonding with my mama. Nothing much compares.
I was somewhat concerned about the trip there. It's an all day affair at about 8 hours and Bea has a history of being not a necessarily laid back car passenger. But I remember our trip last year and I remembered that it went well, considering. This year was slightly different because Bea was truly fantastic and a joy to be with. I'm so glad we get to have these mother/daughter excursions every summer! Now, she is recuperating from all of the cooperation she took part in last week...and this week looks and feels good deal different...